Online Therapy… working with Trauma
Trauma Therapy… Understanding the meaning of trauma
A person will go through a very bad, painful experience and come out of it with no apparent serious after effects… whilst another will have a similar experience with devastating after effects. The view exists that people who do not present with negative symptoms after a traumatic event are just more skilled at hiding it. They reason that any serious trauma, e.g. rape, violent assault or an armed robbery/hijacking, will mentally scar you for live. This turns out to be a myth.
Research has shown that it is not the actual event that creates or determines the outcome, but the meaning that a person
attach to the event. People who have a severe reaction after trauma usually have common elements in the negative story of they create about the traumatic event. A harmful meaning attached to a traumatic event may include one or more of the following:
- The event is interpreted as a serious violation of important values and beliefs held by the person about the self and life in general, like self-worth, safety, security, etc.
- The resulting pain caused by the event may be experienced as overwhelming.
- The traumatic experience may be taken out of context and the victim may be unable to access the ‘bigger picture’.
- When an event in the present, triggers the memory of the traumatic experience in the past the person may feel as if she/he is reliving the traumatic incident again.
In summary: The meaning a person attaches to a traumatic experience, determines whether the experience is manageable or intolerable. It is the personal interpretation of the event that determines the outcomes, more than the event itself.
If these harmful interpretations can be changed, the experience of the event changes, resulting in the victim reclaiming her/his life.
Working with Trauma in Online Therapy
In my approach I use several techniques to help trauma victims to reprocess the experience of the trauma.
- I will help you to retell the story in other, and more constructive, ways so that you do not have to experience the strong negative emotions that resulted from the event over and over again.
- I will assist you to rethink the event from a place of learning and to master the process of effectively managing the meaning you give to the event and the emotional outcomes of the event.
- I will help you to regain confidence, consciously limit the effects of the event and to reclaim your life.
I also use TRETM – a revolutionary new method for stress and trauma recovery, developed by dr David Berceli. It is based upon a neurological viewpoint that tremoring is the organic way in which a human being (and animals) recovers from the aftermaths of tension and trauma. In most cultures tremors are seen as a sign of shock, weakness and vulnerability and is often calmed down or terminated by medication or other means, resulting in depriving ourselves to recover from tension and trauma in an organic way. TRETM is designed to activate the tremor mechanism of the human body which leads to a safe and organic recovery from the aftermaths of tension and trauma.
Working with you to process trauma
Online Trauma Therapy uses exactly the same principles and techniques used in face-to-face therapy. At the same time it seeks to maximize several elements. Creating a private space where you can do the work that is needed, and at the same time, creating an atmosphere where you can experience that you have the support of your Online Therapist at all times. That is why your online therapist will exert extra effort to faciltate the process by doing the following:
Create an atmosphere where you are fully accepted, free to explore your own issues and able to be your real self;
Provide a safe environment where you can speak your mind and know that the contents of our conversation will always be confidential,
Respect your human dignity no matter who you are;
Listen to you in a non-judgmental and compassionate way;
Help you to explore your experiences and the meaning you attach to it;
Collaborate with you in constructing alternative and more preferred ways of dealing with difficulties;
Help you to voice and reconstruct your inner struggles;
Work with you to empower you to move forward; and
Co-create a more preferred life for you and with you.