What is Online Therapy?
Online counseling is the provision of professional counseling services through the Internet. It is offerred via real-time chat and video conferencing. Some people use online counseling in conjunction with traditional psychotherapy. Currently, more and more people are using online therapy as a replacement for face-to-face talk therapy.
e-counseling: When using either phone or Zoom video call, the communication is instant. And it is still possible to pick up on the nonverbal cues that are part of the communication process.
You might benefit form (even prefer) Online Therapy:
- If you like the convenience, accessibility, confidentiality, etc. that comes with electronic media.
- If you often travel away from home
- If you have a busy schedule that makes setting up a face to face therapy session difficult
- If youo find it difficult to reach appointments during business hours
- If you live in a more remote area and do not have easy access to counseling services
- If you are disabled
- If you are unable to leave your home and need access to therapy services with little inconvenience
Who would NOT benefit from Online Therapy?
Online therapy is not for everyone. And usually, they would benefit from more immediate face-to-face counseling. These include:
- people who are suicidal
- people who are in a situation involving domestic violence, or
- people who are in a crisis.
If you are in any of these emergencies, it is important to understand that online counseling is not the best option for you. And that it would therefore be better to contact me to set up a face-to-face session. Or to contact other service providers like Suicide Crisis Line or Life Line.
What do clients like about Online Therapy?
There are several benefits of online therapy that people like:
- It is confidential and discrete.
- It is done in the privacy of your own home or the location you prefer. You can be anywhere, anytime (on vacation, in another country, up in the middle of the night)
- It is more convenient because you are not stuck to normal office hours.
- It gives you a wider variety of choices – and access professional counseling services from geographically remote locations.
- It is usually more affordable as fees for online counseling are less.
- It affords you anonymity. And sometimes it means that it might prompt clients to communicate more openly without concerns for a bias of race, gender, age, size, or physical appearance. You are also guaranteed not to bump into other clients that you might know. Oftentimes the anonymity makes it easier for you to increase your level of honesty and self-disclosure. It might also make the online therapy session feel less threatening. Some people just find the anonymity of online counseling to be easier and more comfortable than face-to-face counseling.
Online Therapy available anywhere in South Africa
Online Therapy available in Gauteng
Online Therapy available in Johannesburg
Let’s Start A Conversation!
If you have any questions….
or need more information,
please contact me via this form: